Meta sensors / Groups

I continue my exploration of Gladys with the intention of completely replacing HA, and in my opinion it lacks a Groups / Meta-sensors function that allows combining the functions or data of several devices into a single virtual device.

Description

This function is well described in the HA documentation, groups section: Group - Home Assistant.

The idea is to be able to combine several entities into a virtual entity and adjust a few parameters, for example by choosing whether I want the average or the highest value from a series of sensors or the average of the last 8 measurements or whatever.

This is a function that could feed the upcoming thermostat integration by allowing to measure the temperature on several sensors for a complete area. Or simply to avoid turning off the radiators if a sensor no longer has a battery. Or to combine several opening sensors for more complex scenarios. Or to open several roller shutters at the same time, etc.

I have the impression that this function could simply be an enhancement of the MQTT virtual devices integration.

I am curious to hear the community’s opinion and wonder if this can be done as an external integration or if it requires access to the core?

Thanks

I really like the idea. I’ve often thought that an average value from my 3 temperature sensors placed at the ends of my large room would be more relevant than choosing one of them as a reference.

These meta groups strongly resemble a Room in Gladys, with the difference that the rooms (and thus the averages for temperatures, for example) are only visible in the dashboards and not usable elsewhere.

It looks similar but it’s not quite that. For example, in my case I have a stove that heats the whole house and that ideally could refer to several sensors in several rooms. Or the thermostat could consider that the window is open if a door leading to a room with an open window is open.

@David, your explanation is very convincing and could be a plus for heating management in Gladys