S13 restart after saturation

Problem Origin

After reconstructing the washing machine scene, the cycle started generating numerous messages for me. I wanted to check Activity: more logs, blank screen.

In fact, I had misconfigured the device state change:

‘Start the scene on every state change, regardless of the value’ instead of going to the timeout at the end of the cycle…

In short, not complicated.

I tried to trigger a restart from the system menu and restart the host = no effect

Except that I can no longer access Gladys and therefore not to Gladys+ backups. The server is unavailable.

So manual restart

Then I tested Turn off the host: operational

Finally, I tried to test the WOL: no effect.

The issue is that I cannot operate outside my local network whereas the S13 should be able to do WOL.

But if it is possible, why not include this in the turnkey process.

OK, you need a screen, a USB keyboard, and access to the BIOS which I think is F7 ….

Answer from Pierre Gilles:

On the scene loop

You found the cause well. With “Start the scene on every state change, regardless of the value,” a plug that measures the consumption of a washing machine triggers the scene with each new measurement, so several times per minute. With additional message sends, Gladys eventually becomes saturated. This probably also explains the blank screen in “Activity” and the server becoming inaccessible.

On “Restart the host” with no effect

I think Gladys was so saturated by the loop that the command could not get through. The fact that “Turn off the host” worked later, once calm was restored, supports this.

On Wake-on-LAN

There is a limitation to be aware of: WOL consists of sending a “magic packet” over the local network to wake up the machine. This packet must necessarily come from another device turned on in your network. When the S13 is off, Gladys is also off, and Gladys Plus can no longer reach it. Even with WOL enabled in the BIOS, you could not turn Gladys back on from the outside through Gladys itself. You would need another device always on at your home: some internet boxes offer this (the Freebox for example), otherwise a router or another PC.

For your real need, that is, being able to restart the machine remotely if it is stuck, there is something simpler, and it is already provided in the kit: the S13 is configured by default to restart automatically after a power outage. You therefore have nothing to touch in the BIOS, no need for a screen or keyboard.

You just need to connect the S13 to a connected plug that does not depend on Gladys, for example a Wi-Fi plug controllable from the manufacturer’s application. If Gladys no longer responds, you cut the plug from your phone, you turn it back on, and the machine restarts by itself. It works even if the system is completely locked, which WOL does not allow.

Test JP

- Restart via the menu this morning: OK

  • S13 manually turned off then unplugged / replugged its power jack: system well restarted.

I still need to set up a connected plug to my tahoma switch in front of the S13 power supply block…