Gladys 4.86: the biggest release in the project's history 🚀

Bravo and congratulations to all developers and contributors!!!

As a basic user, I can’t keep up at all!!! :joy:

Just two small things:

  • If I order a Lixee module for my Linky solar production meter, is it okay that I find my production in the energy management system?
  • On the other hand, I’m not sure we’ll have snow or ice next week in FinistĂšre!!! :joy:

Hi everyone! Thanks to all of you for your feedback, it’s great to see!

Looking forward to seeing your use of Gladys after this version!

I just quickly released Gladys Assistant v4.86.1, which fixes a small bug on dynamic select fields in external integrations :slight_smile:

I don’t have the answer right now, if no one has replied to you by Monday, I’ll check on Monday :slight_smile:

I’m taking the weekend OFF to relax and try to set a new record next week!!

Hi @Herve,

For your information, I have a lixee module on my Linky meter.

On this Linky, I have solar production for self-consumption with the surplus sold to EDF.

Gladys assistant allows me to see my total consumption as well as the production that I sold to EDF.

Gladys retrieves the different Linky meters but I haven’t looked into it further.

On the graphs, I have two consumptions (one in red, the other in blue) but both give me the same figures. I still don’t understand why

(PS: the values are high but it’s extremely hot right now so air conditioning is running full blast).

I hope this can help you.

Here’s a neighbor from Finistùre.

For Linky, if you don’t resell to EDF, your production doesn’t appear on your Linky.

And for the snow, I also confirm that there’s little chance of snow right now :joy:

Too bad, though. It would do us some good.

Hello!

I see that the AI is working like a little slave :joy:

This update is super interesting! The device page is more than welcome, it was really something that was sorely missing in my opinion.

Hasn’t anyone had the idea to develop a migration integration from HA by any chance? I think that would be a pretty huge thing for the project :thinking:

@pierre-gilles I don’t know what your next big project is, but the dashboard UI and the scenes UI could definitely use some of your AI
 credits.

Another idea to sell the project: having an online demo instance with lots of devices and beautiful dashboards to give people a nice taste of what’s possible without having to install just to try. (Maybe this has already been done, by the way)

Being able to have the AI build your dashboard would be really great too, like: « Create a dashboard for me to monitor my different consumptions (electricity, water, etc) Â»

Same goes for scenes, by the way!

In the age of AI and full automation, I think there are still way too many things to configure manually (this is also true for HA and others)

Well, I’m throwing out a few ideas that come to mind. Maybe some have already been done and someone will correct me!

If I have any more, I’ll make a dedicated post to become the official Gladys consultant :joy:

Hello,

Thanks for your suggestions :rocket:
To answer quickly :slight_smile:

A demo already exists at the following address but would deserve to be highlighted more:

We can already build scenes via AI (Requires Gladys Plus) :wink:
For the dashboards, I made a feature request yesterday :rocket: :

For the integration of migration from HA, we need to see the possibilities but you could start Claude on your side to try? :blush:

Hello

I also just saw that there is a discussion topic about a potential redesign of the dashboard.

Indeed, I didn’t find it, it’s a shame it’s not on the project’s homepage :thinking:

If I have 5 minutes this week, I’ll allocate a bit of usage to check it out!

The comeback :victory_hand::star_struck:

I just had another idea :joy:

After looking into it a bit, it seems like the SDK doesn’t expose any way to add widgets or even views to the interface. At least, in the first instance, being able to do this in the form of an iframe would be great :thinking:

This would allow us to extend capabilities in an even more exponential way!

Snow is forecast for Thursday the 20th at my place. :rofl:

Thanks @filbou40 for the feedback.

On my side, I have an old solar installation, so I sell all the production to EDF. Hence, 2 Linky meters: 1 for consumption and 1 for production.

I already have a Lixee for consumption and I will therefore order another one for production.

Hervé

Hi @MathieuA :slight_smile:

Glad to see you here, and thanks for your feedback :slight_smile:

That’s a great idea, I’ve created a topic:

I’ll run Fable on it at some point.

The dashboard is planned! :slight_smile: For the scenes, I agree too, I think it’s a good topic after the dashboards.

Indeed, this demo still exists, but I intentionally removed it from the site to see if it improved the conversion rate.

Today, there are only two calls to action on the homepage:

  • Install Gladys
  • Buy a starter kit

The idea was to avoid having three different CTAs, which risked diluting the attention of visitors and making the page less effective.

I’ll discuss it with Claude to see what he recommends :slight_smile:

I’ve thought about it, but not in this form, and it allows me to put a point back on the philosophy of Gladys :slightly_smiling_face:

Home Assistant targets a developer audience, with infinite configurability. It’s very appealing to a dev, but this audience is a niche, already very well served. Gladys targets the next audience, much broader: people who want a clean, unified experience that works right away. And to offer this experience, the core of Gladys must keep control over the UI.

So yes to integration widgets, but in the same way that the configuration pages of external integrations are described via a JSON schema, the integration would describe what to display (values, graphs, buttons
), and it’s Gladys that decides how. No custom HTML, no iframe.

It’s exactly the model of iOS widgets: Apple does not allow any arbitrary code on the home screen, everything is declarative. As a result, all widgets are consistent, fluid, dark mode compatible, and no one finds the ecosystem lacking in richness.

The trap of the « in a first step Â» with the iframe is that as soon as an escape hatch exists, the ecosystem organizes around it and you can never remove it again without breaking everything. A temporary iframe does not exist :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

And last point, it ties in with your idea of an AI-generated dashboard: it’s precisely because the widgets would be validatable JSON that an AI could generate a reliable and safe dashboard.

And if tomorrow a type of widget is missing from the vocabulary, we add it to the core and all integrations benefit from it at once, with a consistent UI.

I’ve created a topic: Permettre aux intĂ©grations de dĂ©clarer leurs propres widgets de dashboard (schĂ©ma JSON)

Hi @pierre-gilles!

I agree on this point, the iframe idea was a rough one but I agree it’s not the best solution. Trello did something nice in its own way and made a CSS kit available so that power-ups (the equivalent of integrations for those who wouldn’t know) follow the style guidelines. But let’s be honest, many people do custom (me first :joy:) so it’s not viable.

I totally approve! That’s exactly what HA does with its YAML.

On the other hand, they have pushed the graphical editor quite far, so that today applications and other services (Always the equivalent of integrations for those who wouldn’t know) can add totally custom widgets but using the elements and graphic charter of HA.

The editor also allows advanced users to compose their own widgets.

Be careful with this philosophy as it’s no longer entirely true today. The HA team has made huge efforts in recent years on the UI. To the point that today, you can configure a complete instance without ever going into the configuration files and having to check the logs.

For example, on my side, I only had to touch one slightly technical thing because I didn’t want to go through their servers to be able to use Alexa (otherwise they offer exactly the same turnkey service as Gladys Plus) And the irony of it, this line of configuration that I had to add will become obsolete in the next version, it will be automatic apparently. :sweat_smile:

So yes, HA remains a gas plant, but continuing to think that people « lambada Â» are afraid of it and will continue to look for more friendly solutions, for me, it’s false so we will have to stand out in one way or another.

Just to go back to the case of widgets, they have an online demo dedicated to that: Home Assistant Demo I don’t know if you had already seen it, but there is enough to play well with the dashboard editor to get some ideas.

Well, I’m diving in too. I just developed with Claude an interface to communicate with the relays of my Dobiss SX evolution system. I named it Dobiss2Gladys. There was already Dobiss2mqtt and integrations using the CAN bus. Here, it’s based on TCP instructions with the master. There’s a discovery part that lists all the relays present, and from there, you can create the devices and control them (with status feedback). I struggled a lot, but Claude really helped me. It’s amazing how he can break down all the actions step by step, each time with an explanation of the command used if you tell him you’re a beginner and need a very detailed description. I hope it works! At least locally, it seems to be OK.